Brand Chef at Double Roti, Chennai, Chef Anand Ramasamy shares the illegal recipe for his most popular burger.
You’ve already caught the customer’s eye if you say the word illegal to describe a burger. No wonder this is the most popular item on Double Roti, Chennai’s menu.
The burger is one of many flavourful bombs conceptualised by Chef Anand Ramasamy. Brand Chef of Double Roti, a Burger Bar & Cafe in Chennai, he’s a skilled chef with over 18 years of experience in Western cuisine.
He truly enjoys making scrumptious food and his everlasting passion for creating explosive flavours reflects in his work. No surprise that Double Roti’s Burgers are easily considered one of the best in town.
“We try to source products locally and try to utilise most of the seasonal produces”, he adds. “The vibe. The consistency. The taste and the variety. Double roti has something for everyone.”
Interestingly, Chef Anand would have been an automobile engineer if not a chef. “I have always looked up to Chef Hakkim. He was more like my mentor. He was the one who identified my strength in continental food and nurtured me to be the Chef I’m today”, he says.
While there’s a lot to look forward to on the Double Roti menu, the top 5 must-haves according to the chef are the Illegal burger, Area 69, Spaghetti bolognese, Moroccan grilled chicken, and the Firecracker pizza. In no particular order.
As of now, go ahead and construct your version of a burger so delicious, it had to be illegal! The menu describes it as follows – Do not eat this ridiculously awesome beef burger unless you’re really really hungry. Our signature beef chilli, American Cheese and fried egg.
For the burger
- 1 burger bun
- 2-3 leaves of lettuce
- 3 slices tomatoes each
- 3-4 pcs jalapeno slices
- 3 pickle chips
- 3 tbsp house-made Beef Chilli Sauce
- 1 beef patty each
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 slice cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper powder, to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
For the beef patty
- 1 kg/ 150 gm ground beef (per patty)
- 1 egg
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- For the sauce: In a mixing bowl, combine the chilli paste, sugar, soya sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic, apple cedar vinegar, and sesame seeds and mix well. Transfer to a suitable container.
- Combine ground beef with eggs, salt and pepper. Shape them into round patties.
- Toast the burger bun until golden brown on a cast-iron skillet.
- Griddle the seasoned burger patty on a cast iron skillet at medium heat for 3-4 mins on each side.
- Place the cheese on the patty and melt it.
- Burger set up on the bottom bun: Lettuce, sliced tomato, jalapeno slice, pickles, house-made beef chilli sauce, grilled beef patty and fried egg.
- Transfer the burger to a plate and place the top bun directly on the burger.