From the kitchens of FreshMenu comes the perfect summer dessert, a mango jamun phirni by Chef Jeethu Thampi Kandathil.
Based in Bengaluru, FreshMenu is was founded in 2014 by Rashmi Daga. Today it is an online food ordering company that operates 44 dark kitchens in Bengaluru, Mumbai and Delhi-NCR. Chef Jeethu Thampi Kandathil, who has 15 years of experience in the F&B industry, is the Head – Culinary/New Product Development for FreshMenu. Trained in the field of Italian, Indian, European, cold kitchen, butchery, pastry/bakery and confectionery, he has always had an interest in food research and curating new dishes.
His mango jamun phirni marries the best of seasonal produce with gulab jamun, the classic comfort dessert.
Mango jamun phirni
250 gm Rice (soaked and ground)
2 kg Milk
350 gm sugar
250 gm Mango pulp
2 gm Cardamom powder
500 gm Khova
50 gm Sooji
50 gm Maida
1 gm Soda
1 kg Sugar (for syrup)
5 gm Pista
- Soak the rice in water and grind it.
- Boil milk, add rice and cook it until the rice is completely boiled.
- Add sugar. After some time, add mango pulp, cardamom powder and cook it.
- Remove from fire and chill in the refrigerator.
- Make gulab jamun as per recipe.
- Pour the mango phirni into a raitha container (60-65 gm).
- Garnish with 3 half gulab jamuns (20 gm) and pista flakes.
One chef, one recipe: Not your ordinary strawberry & cream by Burma Burma
One chef, one recipe: Pastéis de Nata (Portuguese Custard Tarts) by Ajesh KA, Pastry Sous Chef, Cidade de Goa