Lamb shank with Grover Zampa’s One Tree Hill Red Wine is a marriage made in heaven, as Chef Sarita Pereira of The Lovefools in Bandra, Mumbai, discovers.
There’s little to beat a juicy lamb shank, especially one that has been marinated in Grover Zampa’s One Tree Hill Red Wine made with grapes from their Nashik vineyards. Nashik, as we know, boasts one of the finest terroirs for winemaking grapes in India.
According to Chef Sarita Pereira of The Lovefools in Bandra, Mumbai, the flavours in this very special wine pair beautifully with lamb shank. An important reason for using the wine is that the acid in the wine helps break down the fat in the lamb and also tenderises the meat. “The result is a very succulent lamb chop,” says Chef Sarita.
The three primary flavours in the recipe are rosemary, raspberry and red wine (the wine also has berry notes). There’s also a little smoked paprika to accentuate the flavour. And, of course, we Indians love a little spice kick in everything. There’s also an entire cup of coffee in the marinade, lending a bold and unusual flavour as well as the brown colour that one associates with the gravy of a lamb dish (Chef Sarita is a self-confessed coffee addict).
Lamb Shank in One Tree Hill Red Wine
For the roast lamb:
4 lamb shanks
1 small cup frozen raspberry
1 shot espresso
2 tsp Serrano chilli
2 cups Grover Zampa One Tree Hill red wine
1.5 cup olive oil
10 garlic pods
Any whole spices like cinnamon, star anise, cloves and whole pepper
Rosemary and thyme bunches
For the mushroom sauce:
1 pack button mushrooms (sliced)
100 grams portobello mushroom
Dry mix oyster mushrooms
300 grams butter
1 big onion chopped
5-6 garlic cloves
1 small cup white wine
For the roasted veggies:
Whole mushrooms 1 pack
(in the oven with thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper) at 150 degree for 30-40 min
- In 50 grams butter, sauté onion and garlic.
- Add thyme and then the mushrooms. Add wine.
- Sauté till mushrooms are well cooked.
- Switch off gas & let cool.
- Make a paste of the mushrooms and add back to the sieved liquid and put the whole mix on the flame. Make the mushroom paste as per the thickness of the sauce you want.
- Add remaining butter and cook the sauce on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to your liking.
For the lamb shanks:
- Add all the ingredients listed above for marination.
- Start with salt, add olive oil, add raspberry, add all the whole spices, add coffee, and the Grover Zampa One Tree Hill red wine.
- Cover shanks with whole bunches of herbs.
- Cover the oven tray with foil and put it for baking at 180 degrees C for 1.5-2 hours.
- Check after 1.5 hours if the lamb needs and additional 1/2 hour. The lamb should be cooked till the meat falls off the bone.
For the Jus:
- Take the juices of the lamb after it is cooked.
- Add butter and reduce till the juices thicken into a nice jus.
- Keep the roasted mushrooms in the centre and the shank above it.
- Drizzle the lamb jus on the shank and serve with some mushroom sauce on the side.