As sushi continues to gain popularity across India even through the pandemic, Pallavi Khaitan of For_kandknife has amalgamated the flavours into gourmet food for Indian palates
The Japanese staple and delicious sushi has managed to carve a niche of loyal followers across India. With Pallavi Khaitan’s healthy recipe, discover an innovative side to the versatile flavours.
The carefully curated and cooked vinegared rice roll with fish or seafood or raw vegetables has quite a fan base in India, especially Delhi. A recent survey by Swiggy reaffirmed the same, with a near 50% increase in orders since January 2019. Demands have also been recorded from smaller cities like Guwahati and Ludhiana. According to the survey, the top 10 fan favourite sushi items include Dynamite Sushi, Asparagus Tempura Sushi, Crispy Chicken Sushi, Ebi Tempura Sushi to name a few.
A far departure from the traditional sushi found in Japan, eateries in India have adapted to the demand and created flavours that could be better appreciated locally. For Pallavi Khaitan, it’s the joy of bringing global gourmet food and flavours to India that fueled For_kandknife.
What started off as a recipe curation is now a thriving home kitchen that serves appetizing global cuisines with great love and care. Pallavi believes in the authenticity of food and culture and hence focuses on creating dishes that assimilate all the fundamental flavours.
It’s all about letting people enjoy bona fide gourmet food and discover culinary diversity. Her experimental nature and desire to bring fresh food to the tables of Kolkata have birthed a great new recipe for people to enjoy.
Apart from bold and even vegetarian flavours, sushi has also found its way in trendy food like pizzas, salad bowls, and more. Pallavi Khaitan’s sushi salad with tofu and brown rice is one such vegetarian delight that can be enjoyed across the board.
Sushi salad with tofu & brown rice
- 1/2 pack firm tofu, pressed dry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1½ cups short grain brown rice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp soy sauce
Ginger Wasabi Dressing
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp wasabi paste
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 small English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shelled frozen edamame, thawed and drained well
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 nori sheet, cut into thin strips
- Place tofu in a medium bowl and toss with soy sauce, mirin, ginger and sesame oil. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Cook the rice .Spread rice on a baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk rice vinegar, sugar and soy sauce sprinkle vinegar mixture over the rice let cool
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place tofu in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, turn tofu and continue to bake 5 minutes more until golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the Ginger Wasabi dressing, using a blender, combine rice vinegar, mayonnaise, peanut oil, soy sauce, wasabi paste, honey and ginger until well combined.
- To assemble salad, using 6 individual serving bowls, place rice in the bottom of each. Add tofu, cucumber, carrots, edamame and avocado.
- Generously drizzle each bowl with dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds and nori strips to garnish
Read more: One chef, one recipe