The Executive Chef of Delhi’s Olive Qutub, The Grammar Room and Bar Serai shares his favourite hearty Christmas recipe.
All it takes is a small spark to kindle a lasting appetite. For Chef Dhruv Oberoi, this fire was first lit by his mother’s love for his humble version of a masala chai — aerated into an ice-cream flavour.
Progressively, he melded his admiration for classic ancient techniques with his brazen love for contemporary novelty. Chef Dhruv started out by pursuing culinary management, followed by numerous internships. During his first assignment with Olive Bar and Kitchen in Delhi as a management trainee, he worked his way through numerous positions, including a move to AI (now Guppy by AI). Keen enthusiasm and a never-ending allure for the gastronomic world opened doors to several international kitchens, where he expanded his experience in Japanese and French cuisines.
The turning point in Chef Dhruv’s career came when he got the oppurtunity to train under chefs Ferran and Albert Adria at their restaurants 41 Gardos (now Enigma) and Ticket in Barcelona, Spain. His experience with Spanish cuisine added exponentially to his expertise in world cuisine. He later returned to Olive Bar and Kitchen, where he has been holding fort since.
Carrot, Cherry and Yogurt Trifle
- 288 gms Almond flour
- 120 gms Salad oil
- 5 gms Baking powder
- 3 gms Baking soda
- 5 gms Ginger powder
- 5 gms Cardamon powder
- 5 Eggs
- 250 gms Brown sugar
- 133 gms Carrot
- 75 gms Desiccated coconut powder
- 75 gms Walnuts
- 80 gms Golden raisins
- Whisk egg yolks over the double boiler with sugar until it is fluffy.
- Fold in mascarpone once the yolk mixture cools down.
- Gradually add whipped cream and lemon zest.
- Finish with a splash of lemon juice (do not over whisk it).
- 100 gms Cherries
- 100 ml Brandy
- 100 ml Orange juice
- 20 gms Honey
- Orange zest
- 1 Star anise
- 5 Cloves
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 50 gms Brown sugar (for cooking)
- Mix it all together and mature it for a week.
- Cook it with brown sugar till you get a light thick consistency.
For garnish and assembly
- Charoli almond
- Fresh flowers
- Arrange discs of cake and soak them in some cherry syrup.
- Fill the glass with yogurt mousse and set it for an hour.
- Sprinkle the glass with charoli almonds and fresh sour leaf and flowers.
- Also drop some lime gel (optional).