Created by Ms. Aarushi Bansal, a culinary student, this lasagna recipe is a blend of classic nostalgia and flavourful fun!
One will never tire of praising the humble lasagna. It’s one of the recipes that truly embodies the magic of ingredients.
Done right with the finest produce, this simple family dish takes on luxury hues rather quickly. The combination of wide, flat sheets of pasta, flavourful mince meat against the tang of tomatoes and creamy cheese sauce is just, well, perfect. That’s probably why this is one of the oldest pasta dishes to have stood the test of time and trends.
A cursory glance through food history immediately tells of several variations of lasagna. Recent years have also seen dessert versions of the same, although the jury’s still out on that one! A perfect lasagna is ideally when the pasta’s just cooked right, not too wet, with crispy edges for that perfect corner bite.
On that note, ditch the store bought or restaurant lasagna for some classic homemade goodness. Thanks to this recipe for Spinach and Sweet Corn Lasagna by Ms. Arushi Bansal, Culinary Student of Indian School of Hospitality, you know you’re going to end up with a banger!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 gm chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tsp dried oregano or basil
- 400 gm chopped spinach. hawed
- 200 gm Iight cream cheese
- 340 gm canned sweetcorn. drained
- 125 gm grated mozzarella cheese
- 125 gm or 4-5 lasagna sheets
- Heat the oven to 190℃/ 375℉/gas 5.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, acid the onion and cook gently for 4-5 mins until golden. Acid the garlic and cook for 1 min. Spoon half of the onion into a bowl, then add the canned tomatoes and dried herbs to the pan and simmer for S mins.
- Put the spinach into a large sieve and press with a wooden spoon to squeeze out as much water as possible then put into the bowl with the onion, soft cheese and drained sweetcorn, mix well and season.
- Spoon a third of this mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish approx 20cm square. Add a layer of pasta followed by another layer of spinach, a third of the tomato sauce, pasta, spinach, tomato, pasta and finally tomato sauce.
- Scatter over the mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until browned on top. Your lasagna is ready.