Celebrate International Vodka Day with a classic vodka cocktail—but with a twist—made by Ajay Nayyar, Reserve Brand Ambassador, Diageo India
The Cosmopolitan is one of the world’s most popular cocktails.
Although its exact origin is unclear, the Cosmopolitan became trendy in the 1990s. After Sarah Jessica Parker’s character, Carrie Bradshaw, started ordering it frequently on Sex and the City, its popularity shot through the roof. There is a reference to the Cosmopolitan’s trendiness in the film adaptation of the show, where Miranda asks why they stopped drinking it. “Because everyone else started,” replies Carrie.
A Cosmopolitan, or Cosmo as it is also called, is made with vodka, cranberry juice, triple sec and freshly squeezed lime juice. Ajay Nayyar, Reserve Brand Ambassador for Diageo India, has a version with a slight twist, where he decorates the cocktail glass with ‘horns’ fashioned out of red chillis. He calls it the Notorious Cosmopolitan or Devil’s Cosmo.
or Devil’s Cosmo
- 45ml vodka
- 60ml cranberry juice
- 15ml triple sec
- 15ml fresh lime juice
- Add 45ml of vodka to a cocktail shaker.
- Then add 60ml of cranberry juice.
- Followed this with 15ml of triple sec
- To balance the sweetness, add 15ml of freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Add lots of ice to the cocktail shaker.
- Shake it well.
- Strain the drink into a cocktail glass decorated with chilli ‘horns’.
- Twist an orange peel over the glass to add an interesting aroma.