The TV show host, author, restaurateur and an entrepreneur, popularly known as Sindbad, shares a quintessential New York Strawberry Baked cheesecake recipe. He also uses ricotta to give it a smoother taste and to cut down on the acidity of the wine.
Passionate about his profession as a chef, he adorns various hats. He is an artist by nature. Chef Nilesh Limaye, popularly known as Sindbad the Chef, has occupied a leading position and stayed in the foreground right throughout his career span.
He is recognised in India as a visionary chef with in-depth knowledge that spans all the sections of food production. Bringing in 25 years of professional experience in the culinary arts and training, he turned entrepreneur and set up. All Bout Cooking to cater to large needs of various sectors of the food and beverage industries. As an expert chef, he showcases his talent and skill by introducing new and classical dishes from across the country. He is also well-known for his international repertoire.
Chef Nilesh has strived to bring about awareness and enhancement of regional Indian cuisine, particularly Maharashtra, into the mainstream. He is very vocal about being naturist and believing in the original form of cooking.
For the crust
- Mcvites Digestive – family pack
- 330gms X 2 bottles LExclusif strawberry conserve
- 30gms butter
For the cake
- 150gms or 5 packets Moos cream cheese
- 150gms ricotta cheese
- 200gms castor sugar
- 50gms all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- Juice of one lemon zest
- 100ml white wine
- 3 grams / 1/4 teaspoon Salt
For the sauce
- 500gms strawberries
- 100gms demerara Sugar
- 350 ml rosé wine
Equipment: 10” springform cake square or round mould and aluminum foil
The cake mould
- Align an aluminum foil from the outside over to the springform pan to avoid any leakage of the batter. Grease the pan slightly. Preheat oven at 180c.
- We will also need a water bath. Take a bigger tray filled with water on which we can place the springform pan neatly.
- Crush the cookies and combine together the jam and butter, and pass it through a blender to make a fine crumb paste.
- Arrange the crust over the bottom of the springform pan in a even layer which is not very thick. Bake for 5 minutes.
The cake batter
- In a bowl, bring together Philadelphia cheese, ricotta and flour; whip with a whisk till it is evenly mixed.
- Add the lemon zest, wine and the eggs, and beat together for few minutes until the mix is smooth and no granules are visible.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake tin and ensure it is flat and smooth top. Place the cake tin on the water bath and bake in a preheated oven at 180c for 15-20. Minutes. Make sure you don’t get a crust on top.
- While it is still hot, the cake will be bit soft. Remove from the water bath and allow to cool for an hour or two.
- Once the cake has cooled down, remove the foil. Run a thin knife around the edge of the cake tin to ensure it is not sticking to the sides. Cover with a lid or a plate or use cling wrap to wrap it. Chill in the refrigerator till it is time to serve. Its best to keep it in the chiller for 3-4 hours.
- Clean and cut the strawberries into halves or quarters. In a pan, sweat the strawberries, add the sugar and some wine, and allow it to cook for few minutes. Do not over boil as we don’t want the strawberries to get soft. They should muddle in the wine syrup and should be al dente. Allow to cool in the refrigerator until to be served.
Putting it together
- Remove the sides of the springform pan. Cut into a wedge or round shape with a cutter, and place on the serving dish. Serve chilled.
- Pour some strawberry sauce on the side. Indulge in the smooth texture and creaminess, tartness of ricotta with strawberries.
- The cake can stored in the freezer for week.
- You can use lemon juice to replace wine and cream cheese to replace Philadelphia cheese. A hung yoghurt and cream cheese mix can replace ricotta.