Putting Tempayy on India’s vegan map, the Bengaluru based start-up is here to shake things up for those looking to explore healthy alternatives
Can you really tell the difference between vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian? Whether or not you can, your meal options would almost always include some form of paneer. What if we told you there was another option?
Salvation comes in the form of Vegolution, a Bengaluru-based food start-up, and their brand Hello Tempayy! Essentially a super bean-based, easy to cook food that’s perfect across cuisines, meal occasions and cooking styles.
While soybeans on their own are not always recommended in large quantities, this plant-based protein is a different version of it. Tempayy (also known as Tempeh or Tempe) is a delicious, nutritious, wholesome and 100% vegetarian protein-rich food made by fermenting the best quality non-GMO soybeans.
The brand constantly emphasizes the difference between plant-based meat and plant-based protein. At Hello Tempayy, they haven’t attempted to create mock meat flavours and offer a diluted version of it. This is a plant-based protein, and an important distinction to make.
They say, “The term plant-based has been adopted from the west and can be confusing in a country like India, which has the world’s largest population of vegetarians who have been mostly plant-based in their dietary preferences for centuries. Plant-based has in many ways become synonymous with plant-based meat which we, at Hello Tempayy, think is a very narrow definition. When we broaden the definition of plant based food to include versatile and flavourful ingredients that fit into people’s lifestyle, with health and taste at the forefront, it opens up a world of possibilities.”
Giving the vitamin supplements for vegans a run for their money, the Hello Tempayy products are also fortified with Vitamin B12 and Iron. Research has shown consumption of tempayy has benefits for overall health (especially for diabetics), including muscle gain and weight loss.
In India, you can find Hello Tempayy across Bengaluru, Mysore, Hyderabad and Chennai. To make things more interesting, it comes in five bold variants: Natural, Simply Sriracha, Peppery Szechuan Chilli, Peri Peri and Spiced Tawa Masala. So skip the stress of figuring out your next meal, and opt for some truly new culinary exploration instead!
- 200 gm Tempayy cubes
- 4 nos tortillas/ taco shells
- 6 tsp barbeque sauce
For the refried beans
- 6 tsp boiled rajma
- 1 tsp fresh garlic
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp jalapenos
- 2 tsp fresh coriander
- 4 tsp tomato puree
- 3 tsp oil
- Salt, to taste
For the sour cream
- 3 tsp fresh cream
- 4 tsp hung curd
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 1 nos fresh red chillies
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Unbox Hello Tempayy natural cubes.
- Marinate tempayy cubes in the barbeque sauce for 10 mins.
- Sauté for 5 mins and keep aside.
- Boil Rajma till soft and grind it into a paste.
- In a pan, heat oil and sauté the chopped garlic.
- Then add the tomato puree and sauté for approximately 4 mins.
- Add the rajma paste and cumin powder and cook for 10 mins.
- Finish with chopped jalapenos, chopped coriander and salt to taste.
- Heat the tortillas on a hot tawa. Skip if using taco shells
- Spread it on a board and spread the refried beans evenly on it.
- Add the barbeque marinated tempayy and top it with sour cream.
- Make a roll/ taco and serve.
Tempayy Stir Fry
- 200 gm tempayy cubes
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 2 tsp stir fry sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp green and yellow zucchini cubes
- 1 nos long beans
- ¼ tsp each red, green, yellow pepper cubes
- 2 nos asparagus
- 10 nos salt, to taste
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 3 tsp chopped ginger
- ¼ tsp white vinegar
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 2 tsp chopped spring onions
Method (For Prep)
- Unbox Hello Tempayy natural cubes (or) Simply Sriracha/ Szechuan Chilli Tempayy cubes.
- Marinate the cubes with soy sauce and salt. Skip step 2 if using marinated cubes.
- Sauté in a pan and keep it aside.
- Make a slurry with cornflour and water.
- Cube long beans and zucchini, cut cubes of pimentos and finely chop spring onions.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic and sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Add zucchini and pepper cubes. Sauté for 5 mins.
- Add the sauces (stir fry sauce and soy sauce) and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, spring onions and sugar.
- Toss the sauteed tempayy and the corn flour slurry, stir for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot immediately.